On Friday the 20th I saw Dr. Sheshadri for my 40 week visit (I was due the next day, February 21st). He said things looked good and when he checked my cervix I was dilated 3-4 centimeters. That day and the previous day I had been feeling a little nauseous and just not quite right so I had a feeling that I would go into labor soon, but you can never be too sure about these things so I tried not to anticipate what would happen.
I went home to do some last minute things and prepare as if I would go into labor that night but also wanting to be patient in case it was a few more days J I cleaned the kitchen and did a few other things and went to bed around 10 pm.
During the night I woke up and thought I might be having labor contractions but was able to go back to sleep thankfully. Then around 5:30 my contractions started for real – it was mostly like menstrual cramps at first and then I finally got up when I lost my mucus plug (although I initially thought my water broke).
After I got up I called my parents to let them know so they could head our way (they had a 4 hour drive). Then I showered and got ready to meet our little one! After my things for the hospital were together we got the girls dressed for the day and called Carla. Carla, a very dear friend of mine, was planning to come to be my unofficial doula. I called the doctor and soon after we left for the hospital with a pit stop at Bojangles on the way.
We arrived at the hospital and secured the last L and D room that was available – thank you, Jesus! (especially after not having one with Anna). Once in the room my nurse, Julie, checked my cervix and I was dilated to 5-6 centimeters. Carla arrived around that time to join us. It was definitely an encouragement to me and I think it was nice for Vimal to have some help and support, too.
I brought along my birthing ball to “roll” through my contractions and it was very helpful. Even though my contractions were painful – I felt like was able to breath through and ‘stay” on top of my contractions better than my last labor and I was able to relax more. Several nurses came in to try and take blood and to put in my heplock in case I needed IV fluids but they had trouble getting my blood to flow. I had quite a few bruises and no blood to show for it (note to self: If I ever have another baby, drinks lots of water before labor! – this same thing happened to me with Anna).
Even though I was working through my contractions – I was still debating if I was going to get an epidural. I wanted to deliver naturally but wasn’t sure how much harder things would get. They actually started to put in my IV fluids and I asked them to check my cervix one more time. When she did she said –‘oh, you are at 8-9 centimeters and a have bulging bag of waters” That made my decision for me – no epidural.
The doctor had already been in to check on me but he was called back now since she thought I would be ready to push soon. At this point, I had been in labor about four hours. Unfortunately, my labor stalled around 9 centimeters for about an hour or an hour and half. I learned after my deliver that I most likely stalled because Rebekah was large for my pelvis – I’m glad I didn’t know that information before I started pushing! So, for the last hour and half before I started pushing I hung in there breathing through contractions. My nurse checked me several times and before I actually dilated to 10 centimeters…I thought I was never going to get there!
I finally did and then I had to push. The pushing was definitely the worst part of it all. I didn’t feel like I had clear direction on how to push, how long to push and I just freaked out! After I got a grip on things, I started pushing okay and while it seemed like it took forever it was only about a half an hour. But, I was getting tired and I was close and I finally decided that she was coming out on my next push no matter what – and she did – finally! She made her grand entrance with a 360 degree turn on the way out (shoulders side ways). As my doctor said – “She wanted to see the whole world in one shot”. After she was out and Vimal cut the cord- I rested with her on my chest.
She arrived at 11:26 AM on Saturday, February 21st. She weighed a healthy 8 pounds and 7 ounces and was 19 inches long. I do remember saying that “I don’t want to do this again for a long time” during a rest while pushing. And now that I am on this side of the labor – I would do all over again and the same way. As painful as it was, it was really beautiful and to receive a beautiful baby girl at the end of it was all worth it! God has indeed blessed us abundantly!
I went home to do some last minute things and prepare as if I would go into labor that night but also wanting to be patient in case it was a few more days J I cleaned the kitchen and did a few other things and went to bed around 10 pm.
During the night I woke up and thought I might be having labor contractions but was able to go back to sleep thankfully. Then around 5:30 my contractions started for real – it was mostly like menstrual cramps at first and then I finally got up when I lost my mucus plug (although I initially thought my water broke).
After I got up I called my parents to let them know so they could head our way (they had a 4 hour drive). Then I showered and got ready to meet our little one! After my things for the hospital were together we got the girls dressed for the day and called Carla. Carla, a very dear friend of mine, was planning to come to be my unofficial doula. I called the doctor and soon after we left for the hospital with a pit stop at Bojangles on the way.
We arrived at the hospital and secured the last L and D room that was available – thank you, Jesus! (especially after not having one with Anna). Once in the room my nurse, Julie, checked my cervix and I was dilated to 5-6 centimeters. Carla arrived around that time to join us. It was definitely an encouragement to me and I think it was nice for Vimal to have some help and support, too.
I brought along my birthing ball to “roll” through my contractions and it was very helpful. Even though my contractions were painful – I felt like was able to breath through and ‘stay” on top of my contractions better than my last labor and I was able to relax more. Several nurses came in to try and take blood and to put in my heplock in case I needed IV fluids but they had trouble getting my blood to flow. I had quite a few bruises and no blood to show for it (note to self: If I ever have another baby, drinks lots of water before labor! – this same thing happened to me with Anna).
Even though I was working through my contractions – I was still debating if I was going to get an epidural. I wanted to deliver naturally but wasn’t sure how much harder things would get. They actually started to put in my IV fluids and I asked them to check my cervix one more time. When she did she said –‘oh, you are at 8-9 centimeters and a have bulging bag of waters” That made my decision for me – no epidural.
The doctor had already been in to check on me but he was called back now since she thought I would be ready to push soon. At this point, I had been in labor about four hours. Unfortunately, my labor stalled around 9 centimeters for about an hour or an hour and half. I learned after my deliver that I most likely stalled because Rebekah was large for my pelvis – I’m glad I didn’t know that information before I started pushing! So, for the last hour and half before I started pushing I hung in there breathing through contractions. My nurse checked me several times and before I actually dilated to 10 centimeters…I thought I was never going to get there!
I finally did and then I had to push. The pushing was definitely the worst part of it all. I didn’t feel like I had clear direction on how to push, how long to push and I just freaked out! After I got a grip on things, I started pushing okay and while it seemed like it took forever it was only about a half an hour. But, I was getting tired and I was close and I finally decided that she was coming out on my next push no matter what – and she did – finally! She made her grand entrance with a 360 degree turn on the way out (shoulders side ways). As my doctor said – “She wanted to see the whole world in one shot”. After she was out and Vimal cut the cord- I rested with her on my chest.
She arrived at 11:26 AM on Saturday, February 21st. She weighed a healthy 8 pounds and 7 ounces and was 19 inches long. I do remember saying that “I don’t want to do this again for a long time” during a rest while pushing. And now that I am on this side of the labor – I would do all over again and the same way. As painful as it was, it was really beautiful and to receive a beautiful baby girl at the end of it was all worth it! God has indeed blessed us abundantly!
2 comments:
Great to hear about Rebekah's journey into this world. Good work Tab!! You're a real champion!
SO Amazing!!!!!!! You are one strong cookie, Tab!
Post a Comment